When the wallboard in our vintage camper’s
kitchen started peeling off,
I decided that was the perfect opportunity to update the camper kitchen.
Our camper is a 1986 model,
so I chose some small checked wallpaper
that would have been appropriate to that era,
but was more appealing to me than the wild floral print that it had been.
The kitchen window had an old venetian blind and a country blue valance.
I have been slowly adding aqua accents to the camper,
and the blind was definitely looking its age
so I sewed up a lined curtain for the camper kitchen.
Here’s how I made the camper curtain:
The first thing I did was install the curtain rod.
There are a lot of space restrictions around the window,
so I wanted to get the rod in place so I could measure exactly
how big to make the curtain.
There wasn’t enough clearance for a ruffle at the top,
so I decided to make a back tab curtain.
I also like the way the back tab curtains bunch up when
the curtain is open.
It looks a lot like the original curtains in the rest of the camper
which open and close with drapery hooks.
I used blackout curtain lining (from JoAnns)
for the curtain’s back so our camper neighbors can’t see in at night.
I followed the instructions for making a lined back tab curtain
from the OnlineFabricStore with a few changes.
Since my curtain was so much smaller than their sample curtain,
I reduced the hem width on all sides.
I also chose to use a satin ribbon for the back tabs.
It does slide open and closed very easily!
I finished up by sewing a tie-back that is held closed with velcro.